26 July 2011

How to #40: write

Weekly class reflection
#1:
I walk in wondering what may come of this, as the previous tutors told us that they felt that teaching the art of creative writing is a near impossible task. I now feel that this class is maybe not there to teach us how to “write creatively” but rather inspire us to embrace our creativity. I feel almost threatened to be around other people my age who have a passion for writing, because I always felt like it was mine alone. But I’m excited to learn and share.
We were given letter by other authors asking for crit from other authors, to teach us about the learning process that lies ahead for us, and the aspects that are important when writing.
Hale asked us to describe ourselves as an animal, and somebody else told an idea more or less like mine, but I did not feel bad, because I felt in my heart that that was my answer. Sometimes in these situations students just agree or adapt someone else’s answer as a safety. I wanted to answer the question first, but didn’t want to be ‘that one’ because, I predict a lot of my participation in this class, which is weird. I’m usually rather quiet, with respect for the lecturer.
I answered the question with a comparison of my life as a bird. When I was young, I was a chicken chick, just one of the blind group, doing what as to be done, but all the other little ones around me are ducklings. This was up until about grade 6. From then, and right now, I’m part of the homing pigeon group. Some with pretty feathers, some flying a bit better or further than others, but in the end, we are still a dependant group, that makes a turn back after a long a difficult turn.
In the end I wish to be an eagle. I purposely do not elaborate on this.
As homework, next week we have to bring our own 1 page long biography.

No comments:

Post a Comment